Monday, April 30, 2007

Biomega Bikes (ed. note: I don't know a ton about bikes, but I sure can spot a pretty one!)

When I was in elementary school I lived in an apartment complex filled with kids. We all walked home together and played freeze tag in the courtyard until our parents came home from work. We also had a communal bike. It was a small BMX that we left in the ivy bushes when we were done riding it around. The bike didn't belong to any one of us, and the ivy, well it was just where we kept it. Those were good times.


Now, I am going to just say that this post may be lacking in bike lingo. And this only matters because I know a few people who love, love bikes. This post might be more articulate if they posted it, but they aren't so here we are. (sorry dudes)

biomega is a collaboration of super-star designers making bikes. Marc Newson, Ross Lovegrove, Karim Rashid, Beatrice Santiccioli, Jens Martin Skibsted and Vexed have all contributed to these amazing feats of design in motion.

Witness for instance the Brooklyn (not available in stores) which is an amusing take on my communal BMX bike.




Just look at those tires! I could have had my
friends make a pyramid and ride over them with ease if we had shared this beauty.

Next is the Boston an homage to you east coasters.



The Copenhagen is the sexiest of the group. Just look at those lines. Also the option for light blue is a huge plus.


There is also the Amsterdam in his and hers versions. Available through Design Within Reach.



Ordering information is available on the biomega site, as well as a store finder for a brick and mortar place to check them out.

No comments: